Tuesday 22 May 2012

It's all in the cast...

Who would have thought that some thing as basic as casting could be so hard.  I've been fly fishing now for a couple of weeks.  More or less self taught with the help of You Tube.  I've even caught a fish.  It amazes me how just a slight mistake can foul a cast. 


Fishing on the fly is amazing, I'm kicking myself for not trying it sooner.  Fighting a fish on a fly rod is truly exhilarating!  Even small fish are great fun.  Getting the fly to the fish has been a bit of a challenge though.  Fly casting takes a lot of practice.  I still can't cast very far and I'm sure I'm not casting effectively, I still spook more fish than not.


I always hear fly fishermen talking about presentation.  I'm not sure I even understand what they mean but I figure I need to be able to get the fly to the fish before I start worrying about how the fly moves.  So I booked some casting lessons with Rick Whorwood from www.flycastingschool.com .  Before I created too many bad habits I figured some lessons from a pro would really help in getting my casting to a point where I can fish effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment