Monday 16 July 2012

Saltwater first

I got out for an hour today before dinner today slinging a small tan pass crab under the docks and boats in the canal behind where I am staying.  There were four fat sheephead eating barnacles off the bottom of one of the boats.  I fired my crab as close as I could without spooking these already skittish fish.  After a few failed casts I finally landed one in a decent spot.

I thought I had snagged the bottom at first then it started to run.  The biggest of the bunch had taken my fly.  After a short but fun fight I landed a beautiful fish.  The first saltwater fish I've caught on the fly.  It took a small tan pass crab.



I caught it on my Colton Fly 7wt rod.  What a fantastic rod for fighting hard running fish.  It really did a great job turning the fish on those runs.  Not to mention it is so easy to cast.  I don't have the room to back cast so I am limited to roll casting.

Hopefully this is just the start.  It has been pretty slow inshore this week with the memories of Debby still fresh in the fishes minds.  Most of the fish have been hard to find and even harder to get to bite.  I have managed a few trout and catfish here and there.  The trout only seem to feed after dark.  All on the small side but anything is better than the skunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment