Sunday 21 April 2013

Glass rattle bend back

I want to share a fly pattern that I have been using recently with a lot of success.  The bend back is a staple for saltwater flats fishermen, but I haven't seen it used much up here in the north.  Funny thing is it is a great pattern for bass and pike especially in the weeds.  The rattle seems to really stir the fish up. So lets get started.

For this example I used a Mustad C52S 2XL size 2/0

I bend the shank of the hook with a pair of pliers.  Just until the shank is parallel to the point.


I use a small piece of heat shrink tubing to attach the glass rattle to the hook.


Place some mylar tubing over the rattle and hook shank.


Tie off the back side of the mylar.  Here I used some mono thread.  Ship finish and trim off the ends.


Start your thread at the hook eye and work back to the mylar.  Capture the open end in the thread and continue up the shank until you get to the bend.  Here I tied in a couple pieces of gold flash as well.


Tie in your wing.  The wing can be made up of almost any material you prefer.  Here I used some white EP fibers.  With a bend back you don't want to use too much material.  Follow a less is more approach.


Next tie in a little red for gills.  I used a bit of maribou but you can use whatever you like.


Next I tied in a little chartreuse to finish off the wing along with a bit more flash.  Finish off by shaping the head and whip finish.


Trim the wing until it resembles the shape of a small fish.  I like to keep the overall length to less than twice the hook length, but feel free to experiment.


Glue (or paint) and eye on each side.  I like the big eyes like I have attached here.  Finish off the head with five minute epoxy.  You can paint it after t is dry if you like.

There you have it a very simple pattern that is very effective.  Here are some more examples with an without rattles.


My fly tying skills are a bit lack luster so take from these what you will.  Good luck and tight lines.  Hope to see you out on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment