Wednesday 17 July 2013

Eat at Jack's? Eat hat jack? EAT THAT JACK?

Opps I miss typed that. Yes I said it.  Eat that jack.  Most people consider the Jack Crevalle to be an unpalatable trash fish but I read recently that they are good table fare.  I've been catching quite a few of them lately in the evenings and had been tempted to keep one.  I got my chance the other night when I gut hooked one.  Rather than waste the fish I quickly bled it and put it on ice.  Later that evening I filleted it.  I was very impressed with how white and firm the meat was, not to mention how much meat was on this rather small specimen.

I fried it up last night along with some snapper we had caught.  I am very pleased to say it was very good.  White, flaky and mild.  Had I slipped it into the pile of snapper fillets I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to tell you which was which.

When I filleted it I removed most of the darker red meat since this is where the pin bones reside.  I would have no issue keeping another.  I need to find some larger ones now to see if the same holds true of bigger fish.

Next time you catch a Jack think twice before tossing it back.  When bled and iced quickly after catching they really are quite tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment